The national Healthy Food in Health Care program recognizes the importance of tracking the progress and impact of the healthy food changes being made by participating hospitals through a system of awards and benchmarking. For more information, click here.
Congratulations to John Muir Medical Center of Concord, California, for the following awards!
- Sustainable Food Procurement Award, Third Place
- Procurement of sustainable, local food and beverage
- Direct procurement from farmers/ farm cooperatives
- Support for reduced antibiotic use in animal agriculture through procurement decisions
- Procurement of dairy products produced without use of rBGH/rBST
- Food, Climate, Health Connection Award, Second Place
- Reduction of the amount of conventionally produced animal-based protein on the menus
- Prioritizing purchase of food and beverages that are produced without use of fossil-fuel based fertilizers and pesticides
- Waste prevention, donation and composting